March 29, 2011

Posted on 12:59 PM by Elder Messer | 0 comments

Hey everyone! Well I guess i`ll start with the news from last week since I didn`t really write anything last week. It was a pretty good week. On Tuesday we went and did a service helping someone build a house. They had 2 HUGE truck loads of cinder blocks so we had to unload them all and carry them a little ways to the spot where they were gonna build the house. I don`t think my arms have ever been so tired in my entire life. They felt like they were about to fall off. Seriously all we did for like 4 house was carry cinderblocks. We didn`t even get to start building because by the time we had unloaded all the blocks we had to go because we had an appointment.
Later that day we had to do a baptismal interview for a lady that wanted to get baptized in the zone. I did the interview but it wasn`t exactly a normal interview because the lady didn`t speak Spanish. It was an old indigenous lady that only spoke quichua so her grandson had to be there to translate. It was an interesting experience trying to determine whether or not someone was ready for baptism when I didn`t understand her and had to rely on a translator. And it was kinda weird asking such personal questions about worthiness with her grandson as the translator. I guess I really had to try and depend on the spirit to tell me whether or not she should get baptized. After all was said and done I felt like she was ready and gave her the OK.
Last Sunday there was a return missionary that gave a talk in quichua so I didn`t understand anything but then he said “BYU” and about a minute later mentioned “Brigham Young University”. I didn`t understand what he said but it caught my attention that he mentioned BYU. So after the meeting I asked him what he was saying (He speaks Spanish, English, and Japanese as well) and he told me that he had stoped in Utah on his way home from Japan and his ex mission president took him to BYU and that while he was there he just thought it was the best place in the world because the temple is right there and there are a ton of beautiful mormon girls and that his life would probably be a lot easier if he went and studied there but he doesn`t go because the prophets have commanded people to build up zion in their own lands. I thought it was kinda funny…. Other missionaries and some members talk to me about BYU all the time and they always get jealous about how there are so many members there are and all the opportunities there are… especially to get married. Haha
On Saturday we were walking down the street and ran into 2 members from Oklahoma. The guy served his mission here 10 years ago and was visiting with his wife. They said that they have family in Castle rock that live by the outlet mall. Steve and Elizabeth Kramerk or chris and ann Candi… do those names sound familiar. I assume they are in the other ward…. The people that I met were the Bomans.
This week was a good week as well. We had a new family come to church for the first time on Sunday. The Cevallos Narvaez family. They were references that we received from a member about 2 weeks ago and the only way to describe them is golden. They are way open to us and always read the chapters that we leave for them to read. The wife isn`t as receptive as the husband but she is still way receptive. The husband used to be an alcoholic but hasn`t drank since we started teaching them. They have a baptismal date for this month.
Last Sunday a 17 year old guy showed up to church named Giovani, We have been teaching him this week and he came to church again yesterday and has a baptismal date as well. He says that he wants to be a missionary like us.
Basically I love this sector. We have a good program and get a lot of references and things are looking up.
This week Elder Warr and I went to do baptismal interviews for 2 little girls who are older than 8 and their parents are becoming active again. After the interview we both asked them who they wanted to baptize them and they both said us. I tried to convince the one that I interviewed that it would be better if the missionaries that taught her baptized her but she was pretty stubborn so I just ended up baptizing her. That’s why I sent home baptism pictures.
Elder Warr got changed today so now i`m with Elder Quexel. He is from Guatamala and has the same amount of time in the mission as me. I was kinda sad that elder Warr left after only 4 weeks together. He was probably my favorite companion so far. We had a ton in common. But that’s how the mission is. I`m sure i`ll have fun with Elder Quexel! Well that’s all I have for this week. Thanks grandma messer for the package!!!! I loved it!!!!! I love you all. Talk to you next week!

Love,
Brandon

0 comments:

Post a Comment